2022 Women’s History Essay Contest
Writers submit essays on women they believe should be honored. Judges award certificates to writers of essays for first place and honorable mention in several age divisions; judges also recommend women for inclusion in the Hall of Fame. Essays submitted may be included in the Local History files of the Russell County Public Library.
Essay contest rules and guidelines are as follows:
- Essays shall be 500 words or less; library staff screen entries on this basis
- Essays will be evaluated on the quality of the writing as well as the uniqueness or significance of the woman’s accomplishment
- Writers need not live or work in Russell County
- Honorees may be Russell County natives or residents, living or dead
- All essays submitted may be included in the RCPL Local History Information Files
- Each essay shall have a cover sheet with: Writer’s Name, Division, Title/Name of Woman honored, and Contact Information of Writer (address/phone/email)
Certificates will be given to the top two essays in each division. The divisions are
- Grades 1-4
- Grades 5-8
- Grades 9-12
Russell County Women’s Hall of Fame
Founded in 2008 by the RCPL, the library is solely responsible of management of the Hall of Fame. Essays highlighting each woman included in the Hall of Fame are housed in the Local History Room Files at the Lebanon Library.
Independent judges recommend a woman for induction into the Hall of Fame based on the uniqueness or significance of the woman’s accomplishment. All essays are judged anonymously; judges are given only the essays and the division in which they are being judged. The responsibility for selecting women to include in the Hall of Fame lies with the judges; judges are allowed complete discretion and freedom of choice in making their selections. A woman who is not selected for inclusion may still be considered at another time.
RCPL makes every effort to select judges with a knowledge and understanding of history, women’s studies, and Southwest Virginia. Decisions of the judges are final.
Submit essays to Women’s History Essay c/o RCPL, POB 247, Lebanon, VA 24266. Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Women’s History Essay.
Essays due March 24, 2022